STEPHENS COUNTY LAND USE REGULATION ORDINANCE
PREAMBLE AND ENACTMENT CLAUSE
Pursuant to the authority conferred by the 1983 Georgia State Constitution, Article IX,
Section II, Paragraph IV, and for the purpose of promoting health, safety, convenience, order, prosperity and general welfare of the present and future inhabitants of Stephens County, including among other purposes:
1. Promoting (a) classification of land uses, (b) distribution of land uses, and (c) land development and land utilization, as will tend to protect and promote desirable living conditions and the sustained stability of neighborhoods;
2. Preventing incompatible uses;
3. Conserving and protecting the County’s precious natural resources, while encouraging the efficient management of their uses;
4. Preserving buildings, structures and uses in areas having national, regional, state or local historic or environmental significance;
5. Protecting rural character, farm land and open space;
6. The lessening of congestion on the streets;
7. Protecting property against blight and depreciation;
8. Maintaining the value of buildings;
9. Facilitating the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage service, schools, parks, and other public requirements;
10. Improving the aesthetic appearance of the County;
11. Securing safety from flood, fire, panic and other dangers;
12. Promoting health and general welfare;
13. Providing plentiful light and clean air;
14. Securing economy in governmental expenditures;
15. And encouraging the most appropriate use of land and structures throughout Stephens County.
All in accordance with Official Zoning Map of the Comprehensive Plan for the development and conservation of Stephens County, the County Commission does hereby ordain and enact into law the following Articles and Sections. Any reference herein to maps or zoning maps shall mean the Official Zoning Map.
The SCDA is responsible for the recruitment of new businesses including industrial, manufacturing, distribution, corporate and regional headquarters and customer service centers. It also provides support and assistance with all other types of economic development projects.
The SCDA also works with existing businesses and industries to ensure their continued success. While recruitment of new industry is a significant function, aiding in existing industry expansion and retention is just as significant. About 80 percent of all new jobs in Georgia come as a result of existing industry expansion.
Georgia Work Ready
State Tax Credits
Opportunity Zone Tax Credit
Freeport Tax Exemption
Training and Education
Grants & Other Finance Options
Drugs Don't Work
A couple of years ago, the Stephens County Development Authority informed us that we were located in an Opportunity Zone which qualified us for tax credits that were applied to our GA payroll taxes for adding new employees. We were able to realize these savings. We are thankful to our local development authority for making sure that we were taking advantage of all the tax credits available to us.-
From the beginning of our interest in moving to Toccoa-Stephens County, the Stephens County Development Authority made regular trips to our office to make sure we are adjusting to our new home and acclimated to the community resources in Stephens County. They provided a wealth of information on Georgia Business Incentives and tax incentives specific to Stephens County. They introduced us to many connections in Stephens County. We now are well connected with the Department of Labor and attend their monthly meeting and after SCDA's help with some paperwork we have taken advantage of GDOL's Incumbent Worker Program. The Development Authority also shared their long list of local vendors with us and we were able to find our utilities provider, an insurance agent, a computer technician and research local CPAs. Basically, the SCDA is our go to. If we can't figure it out or just need some guidance on an issue we don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call. We definitely appreciate the Stephens County Development Authority's efforts to make Toccoa a great place to do business. They truly make us feel welcome and appreciated in Stephens County!-